Monday, 19 May 2008

Long Weekend........

Well, today is a Monday and also a public holiday. So now, I'm home, just lazing around and surfing the net. Lil princess is in the hall, taking her nap so by the time she gets up, it will be around 3pm. I manage to finish washing a mountain load of clothes but there is still the last basket waiting to be washed. Oh well, it would have to wait till the evening.

Basically, the weekend was not bad. Uncle Simon was in town with Stephanie and her friend. Went out dinner with them on Friday. Then on Sat, lil princess went to the zoo with them. I guess they had lots of fun, as she was telling me about the animals she saw. Then on yesterday, me and lil princess went down to Joo Chiat as hubby was helping out at the store. Manage to take some pictures but what struck me was the pans they used. I was talking to hubby saying that the pans are really very old and you can't even find them anywhere. We are talking about the really heavy metal pans, which I think the iron was also made of tat material. You know, those old irons which you need to put charcoal in to heat it and it will remain hot till the charcoal is being taken out. So that got me thinking: how many of old things can we find nowadays? None! Yup, you read right. NONE!!! Why? Because as time moves on, we throw things out. So if we want a piece of heritage, we go to the museum to see. So if no one were to take over the shop when his uncles retires, will the pan be shown in the museum for others to see how the poh piah skin was made? This might happen one day.......

Anyway, there is a new museum in town- The Peranakan Museum. I so want to go there and see but I must try to see if hubby has the time. Why? Because hubby is half peranakan himself as his maternal grandmother is a peranakan. So that make lil princess 1/5 peranakan also. Why 1/5 you wonder? Well, that's because she is also 1/5 hokkien, 1/5 cantonese, 1/5 shanghainese, and 1/5 hakka. So in short, she is a rojak. :) Well, it would be good to introduce her to go to the museum now as at this age they are just so full of questions. Hmm...maybe I can bring her there myself next weekend?

No comments: